How can I change my diet when I have active inflammatory bowel disease?

You can modify your diet when you are having active inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) by eating small, frequent meals instead of large meals. Reduced fatty food consumption is important because rich, fatty foods can sometimes cause problems with gastrointestinal tract motility (movement). You may want to avoid milk products, particularly if you feel as though you're lactose intolerant. Also, certain types of tough fibers are harder to digest and may cause more spasticity, cramping and gas in your colon and small bowel. Therefore, you may want to decrease your fiber intake.

The diet that doctors usually recommend is a low-residue (low-fiber) diet, particularly if you’re prone to symptoms of obstruction.

Continue Learning about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

6 Drug Options for Crohn's Disease
6 Drug Options for Crohn's Disease
Recent years have given rise to a treatment revolution for the more than 1.4 million Americans who live with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which i...
Does gut bacteria influence my chances of getting IBD?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
There's a lot of interest in gut bacteria and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It has been establis...
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Strategies to help you reduce inflammation, avoid flares, and stay healthy.
What Are the Symptoms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)?