Does gut bacteria influence my chances of getting IBD?

There's a lot of interest in gut bacteria and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It has been established that people with IBD, whether it's Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, have a different bacterial composition within their small bowel and colon than people who don't. Therefore, it may be that these differences in gut bacteria, in combination with a genetic predisposition or immune system abnormalities, will lead to the diagnosis of IBD.

Continue Learning about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

6 Drug Options for Crohn's Disease
6 Drug Options for Crohn's Disease
Recent years have given rise to a treatment revolution for the more than 1.4 million Americans who live with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which i...
What routine exams do I need if I have inflammatory bowel disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Healthcare maintenance is very important in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). It's very important th...
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Lifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative ColitisLifestyle Changes to Help Manage Ulcerative Colitis
Strategies to help you reduce inflammation, avoid flares, and stay healthy.
What Is Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)?