Are inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD's) hereditary?

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) could be hereditary. Further genetic research in the coming years will help us understand the disease better. Learn more from Dr. Eugene Yen on behalf of NorthShore University HealthSystem about inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).

Both Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis appear to have a genetic component, meaning that these diseases run in families. In fact, about 15% to 30% of people with IBD have a family member with the condition. 
Also, people of Jewish heritage, particularly the Ashkenazi Jewish population, have an increased risk of developing Crohn's disease. Researchers have identified close to 32 genes that may play a part in Crohn's disease. Researchers at the Jill Roberts Center are currently collaborating with Weill Cornell Medical College researchers and exploring the function of one of these genes – the NOD-2 gene – and Crohn's disease. Specifically, researchers are investigating to see if the NOD-2 gene is linked to low levels of interleukin 10 (IL-10), which is an anti-inflammatory protein in the body. This deficiency in IL-10 may drive the persistent inflammation that occurs in the intestines of people with Crohn's disease.

Continue Learning about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Lacking Vitamin D? Low Levels May Boost Cancer Risk in IBD Sufferers
If you've had inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) for a while, you probably already know your risk for colorectal cancer is higher than average. Frequent...
Can inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) affect other parts of my body?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Both ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease can cause bleeding in the GI tract, which may lead to an...
Is there a genetic basis for IBD, such as family or ethnic differences?
Yes, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) does appear to run in families and about 15-30 percent of peop...
Does Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Increase My Risk of Colon Cancer?