What is edema?

Edema is another word for swelling. It is caused by a build-up of fluid in the soft tissues under the skin. 
Suzanne E. Ozbun, MD
Family Medicine
Edema is swelling, and it’s common during pregnancy. This can happen in all parts of the body.  A lot of pregnant women will experience swelling in legs, but can also have it in the hands and arms as well. You may feel relief from edema by resting or elevating the feet or body part that is swollen, or by changing positions in bed. Limiting salt to a reasonable amount can also reduce the effects of edema. Sometimes it can’t be totally overcome, so we just wait for the baby to come out, which will decrease swelling.

Continue Learning about Inflammation

Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Soy
Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Soy
These days, most people have tried edamame at their local sushi restaurant. The meaty soybeans are packed with plant protein and anti-inflammatory nut...
How do I manage my inflammation on a daily basis?
Inflammation, especially a severe case, can have a significant effect on your daily life, but there ...
How Your Diet Can Help Ease Inflammation
How Your Diet Can Help Ease InflammationHow Your Diet Can Help Ease InflammationHow Your Diet Can Help Ease InflammationHow Your Diet Can Help Ease Inflammation
Maintain a healthy, balanced diet to reduce pain associated with chronic inflammation. Healthcare providers agree that inflammation may be the root of...
Walnuts Boost Male Fertility
Walnuts Boost Male Fertility