What does elevated C-reactive protein (CRP) mean?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

C-reactive protein is a substance that the body makes, and circulates in the blood in response to inflammation and infection. It’s synthesized in the liver in response to factors released by fat cells. It serves as a good marker or indicator of heart disease risk. The test for high-sensitivity C-reactive protein is called hs-CRP test. A simple blood test can be done at the same time as a cholesterol screening. The high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (HS-CRP) test helps determine heart disease risk and is widely available. Patients should ask their doctors about HS-CRP specifically.

Results:

• Less than 1.0 mg/L = Low Risk for CVD
  • 1.0 – 2.9 mg/L = Intermediate Risk for CVD
  • Greater than 3.0 mg/L High Risk for CVD

Continue Learning about Inflammation

Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Soy
Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Soy
These days, most people have tried edamame at their local sushi restaurant. The meaty soybeans are packed with plant protein and anti-inflammatory nut...
What increases my risk for inflammation?
Cuts and injuries increase your risk for inflammation because your body takes pre-emptive action to ...
What are the negative effects of inflammation?
Shawn Talbott, PhDShawn Talbott, PhD
Inflammation causes the tissues in our body to break down faster and is considered to be the root ca...
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?