Should I talk to my doctor about my inflammation symptoms?

You should absolutely talk to your doctor about your inflammation symptoms. Inflammation is manifested in different ways but often presents as pain, swelling, warmth or redness. Any signs of inflammation should be reported to your doctor for further evaluation of the cause.

Inflammation is a reaction of the body's immune system--but if your inflammation is causing pain or discomfort, you may want to talk to a doctor about your symptoms. Doctors can prescribe medications and look for additional effects of the inflammation, like arthritis. They can also prescribe medications to prevent complications like atherosclerosis. There is a relatively new class of diseases known as autoinflammatory diseases, in which inflammation attacks the body's own tissues; if you suspect you have one of these diseases a doctor should be consulted.

Continue Learning about Inflammation

Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Nuts
Anti-Inflammatory Diet Tip: Nuts
When you nosh on walnuts, almonds and other nuts, you're dipping into a goldmine of anti-inflammatory goodness. Nuts are packed with omega-3 fatty aci...
What are the treatment options for inflammation?
There are many treatment options available for inflammation and the pain that is associated with it....
What are the symptoms of inflammation?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
In medical school we learn that inflammation is characterized by four things: Rubor -- Color or...
The Best Potatoes for Your Heart
The Best Potatoes for Your Heart