How can eating pineapple help fight inflammation?

Pineapple, whether as part of an icy drink, a fruit salad, or a barbecue kabob, contains an anti-inflammatory enzyme called bromelain. New research shows that bromelain soothes your cells by reducing the migration of white blood cells to sites of inflammation -- like sunburned skin, injured muscles and arthritic joints.

If you're not a pineapple fan, you can get bromelain straight from a supplement. It might even be the preferred method, since you don't get tons of bromelain from fresh pineapple. Doctors Mehmet Oz, MD, and Michael Roizen, MD, recommend about 100 milligrams of bromelain a day for sore joints. Ask your doctor if this dose is safe for you.

Continue Learning about Inflammation

Boost Your ERA with Healthy Fats
Boost Your ERA with Healthy Fats
Heading into the 2016 season, Kansas City Royal’s Wade Davis was the best relief pitcher around. His ERA was 0.97 in 139 1/3 innings! But inflammation...
What should I know to care for someone with inflammation?
When caring for someone with inflammation, it is important to know that there are times when inflamm...
How do medications treat psoriasis?
Medications treat psoriasis by blocking the inflammation present in the skin or blocking the body fr...
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?
Are Polyphenols Good for My Health?