When are miscarriages most likely to happen?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
90% of miscarriages happen in the first trimester. 
About 80 percent of miscarriages (also called spontaneous abortions) occur during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, and half of those are caused by chromosomal abnormalities that are incompatible with a live birth. The risk of miscarriage increases with the number of previous births as well as both maternal and paternal age: A quarter of miscarriages happen in women older than 40.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Infertility

Is Your Home Pregnancy Test Accurate?
Is Your Home Pregnancy Test Accurate?
During Monica and Chandler’s wedding on Friends, Rachel reveals she’s pregnant. “Are you sure you peed on the stick right?” Monica asks. “How many way...
What is preimplantation genetic screening (PGS)?
Medical City DallasMedical City Dallas
Preimplantation genetic screening (PGS) checks the embryo to make sure it has a healthy number of ch...
Infertility Intervention
Infertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility Intervention
Find out if you’re having infertility problems with this guide.
Does Infertility Run In Families?
Does Infertility Run In Families?