When are miscarriages most likely to happen?

About 80 percent of miscarriages (also called spontaneous abortions) occur during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, and half of those are caused by chromosomal abnormalities that are incompatible with a live birth. The risk of miscarriage increases with the number of previous births as well as both maternal and paternal age: A quarter of miscarriages happen in women older than 40.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
90% of miscarriages happen in the first trimester. 

Continue Learning about Infertility

Infertility

Infertility

Infertility may affect women, men or both. Infertility may be considered primary, meaning this is a couple’s first attempt to have a baby; or secondary, in which they aren’t able to conceive after having had one or more children. ...

Learn more form our experts about infertility.