What does my anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) level indicate about fertility?

Anti-mullerian hormone (AMH) is the newest and probably best way to evaluate someone for ovarian reserve -- essentially, how good your eggs are and how long they will be functional. AMH is secreted by cells from follicles in the ovary. Follicles are only present if healthy eggs are still around. AMH declines with age as the “good” egg pool declines and is completely gone after menopause. Unlike other hormones used to measure fertility, AMH doesn’t vary through the cycle and can even be measured in women who are taking birth control pils. While AMH is a a reliable way to know what ovarian reserve is present, there is no consensus as to what the lowest “okay” level is. In general, if AMH is above 0.5, there is good ovarian reserve.

Continue Learning about Infertility

Infertility

Infertility

Infertility may affect women, men or both. Infertility may be considered primary, meaning this is a couple’s first attempt to have a baby; or secondary, in which they aren’t able to conceive after having had one or more children. ...

Learn more form our experts about infertility.