Can I still have children if I have a testicle removed?

Mark S. Litwin, MD
Urology
Most men who have a testicle removed are still able to have children.  You have two testicles. The remaining one can usually still make sperm. However, many men who have testicular tumors, even when the tumor is removed, have sperm counts that aren't quite as fertile as men who never had a testicular tumor. It's not so much that the removal of the testicle compromises fertility, but that whatever caused the testicular cancer, genetically, tends to lead to poorer quality sperm counts. 

Continue Learning about Infertility

Is Your Home Pregnancy Test Accurate?
Is Your Home Pregnancy Test Accurate?
During Monica and Chandler’s wedding on Friends, Rachel reveals she’s pregnant. “Are you sure you peed on the stick right?” Monica asks. “How many way...
Are men or women more prone to infertility?
Infertility is defined as being unable to become pregnant after 12 months of regular unprotected int...
Infertility Intervention
Infertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility Intervention
Find out if you’re having infertility problems with this guide.
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?
How Does Obesity Affect the Body?