How will my OBGYN treat infertility?

Fertility specialists are subspecialists in the field of obstetrics and gynecology known as reproductive endocrinology. Because the field is so specialized, there are far fewer reproductive endocrinologists in the United States than there are obstetrician/gynecologists.

Urologists with a subspecialty in andrology are specialists who diagnose and treat male infertility.

Finding board-certified doctors in reproductive endocrinology—which means they completed extensive training and passed both oral and written examinations in the subspecialty—is one way to ensure that your healthcare professional is truly a specialist.

When looking for a specialist, be sure to ask about his or her training and how long the specialist has been practicing in the field of infertility.

Infertility can be treated by a number of doctors, but it is most likely going to be a doctor who focuses in obstetrics. Depending on where you live, infertility may be treated by your family doctor or, if you are a woman, you may see an OBGYN specialist.

In larger cities and communities, there are typically specialty doctors who are trained in both OBGYN and infertility. These sub-specialists are usually found in specific infertility clinics.

If you are having concerns about infertility, talk to your primary care provider or your OBGYN to learn about the best options in your community.

Continue Learning about Infertility

News: First US Baby Born to Woman With Uterus Transplant
For the first time, a woman in the US has given birth following a uterus transplant. The baby boy entered the world last month at Baylor University Me...
What are my chances of getting pregnant if I have endometriosis?
Some women with endometriosis have no difficulty getting pregnant and have no adverse effects at all...
Infertility Intervention
Infertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility InterventionInfertility Intervention
Find out if you’re having infertility problems with this guide.
Does Infertility Run In Families?
Does Infertility Run In Families?