Which diseases do people need to be quarantined or put in isolation for?

The list of diseases for which quarantine or isolation is authorized is specified in an Executive Order of the President. This list includes:

• cholera
  • diphtheria
  • infectious tuberculosis
  • plague
  • smallpox
  • yellow fever
  • viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa, Marburg, Ebola, Crimean-Congo, South American and others not yet isolated or named)
  • severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)
  • influenza caused by novel or reemergent influenza viruses that are causing, or have the potential to cause, a pandemic.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Proper Hygiene Tips to Keep Your Family Disease-Free
Q: Our local paper published an alert that hand, mouth, and foot disease is on the rise and I don’t even know what it is. My kids are off to school an...
What is the difference between infectious and communicable diseases?
An infectious disease is a disease caused by a microorganism and therefore potentially infinitely tr...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Are the Possibilities of a Malaria Vaccine?