What role does infectious disease play in an epidemic?

Any disease caused by a microorganism, such as bacteria, that is capable of spreading through a population can be termed an infectious disease. Strictly speaking, an infectious disease is capable of spreading through the general environment by means such as airborne droplets and tainted water or contaminated personal items. Other diseases caused by microorganisms that spread by direct person-to-person contact are more accurately termed contagious diseases.

Using this convention, infectious diseases are often capable of spreading faster and affecting more individuals than are contagious diseases, though both types can cause epidemic outbreaks. For that reason and for the purposes of this discussion, we will understand the term infectious disease to also include those diseases that may be strictly defined as contagious diseases. Historically, epidemics typically involve the outbreak of some specific infectious disease.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
How is tuberculosis (TB) treated?
Tuberculosis (TB) is treated with antibiotics. People with active TB are often treated with multiple...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
How Does Knowing the Genetic Makeup of a Virus or Bacteria Help With Treatment?