What does it mean that my child has a secondary infection?

In some cases, bacterial infections in children may be the result of secondary infection, meaning that the virus initiated the process and a bacterial infection occurred because of the effects of the viral infection. Sinusitis, ear infections and some pneumonias are common examples of secondary bacterial infections.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Proper Hygiene Tips to Keep Your Family Disease-Free
Q: Our local paper published an alert that hand, mouth, and foot disease is on the rise and I don’t even know what it is. My kids are off to school an...
What are opportunistic infections?
Opportunistic infections are infections that occur more frequently and are more severe in people who...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
Why Focus on Therapy Rather Than Prevention for Infectious Diseases?