What is an example of an historical epidemic?

There are many examples of epidemics in history. Probably the most famous such example is the Black Death, or bubonic plague, that decimated fourteenth-century Europe. It has been estimated that this outbreak killed a third to more than a half of the population of Europe at the time. Bubonic plague is caused by a bacteria called Yersinia pestis and was conveyed, in this particular case, by infected fleas carried by common sewer rats. Death from bubonic plague generally resulted from pneumonia and related respiratory failure or overwhelming systemic infection.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Septic Shock: When an Infection Turns Deadly
Boxing great Muhammad Ali, who passed away in June 2016, was well known for his fight against Parkinson’s disease—but he actually succumbed to septic ...
How do I prevent spread of disease if I am exposed to body fluids at work?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
If such exposure occurs in a workplace setting, follow your company’s exposure control plan for ...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Are the Possibilities of a Malaria Vaccine?