What is an infectious disease specialist?

Infectious disease specialists are medical doctors who are specially trained to diagnose and treat infections. Your primary care physician can treat many types of infections. But you may need a specialist if you have an infection that is difficult to diagnose or treat, or one that is very severe. If you have a serious health condition (such as HIV or another immune system problem) that makes you prone to infections, you may also need to see an infectious disease specialist. Infectious disease specialists can also help prevent infections for people who travel to high-risk areas or who have other risk factors. Some research shows infectious disease specialists can also reduce the risk of hospital-related infections. Training for infectious disease specialists includes:
  • 4 years of medical school
  • 3 years as a doctor of internal medicine
  • 2 to 3 years of infectious disease training

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
How are people in quarantine for a contagious disease treated?
Modern quarantine lasts only as long as necessary to protect the public by: providing public heal...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Are the Possibilities of a Malaria Vaccine?