What is an example of a historical pandemic?

There are many examples of pandemics in history. Probably the most famous historical example is the Black Death, or Bubonic Plague, that decimated 14th century Europe. It has been estimated that this outbreak killed over one-third of the population of Europe at the time. Bubonic plague is caused by a bacteria called Yersinia pestis, and was conveyed by infected fleas carried by sewer rats. Death from Bubonic Plague generally resulted from pneumonia and related respiratory failure or overwhelming systemic infection.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Proper Hygiene Tips to Keep Your Family Disease-Free
Q: Our local paper published an alert that hand, mouth, and foot disease is on the rise and I don’t even know what it is. My kids are off to school an...
Is it normal for my child to have a fever after getting a vaccine?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Your child can have a fever after getting a vaccine as the immune system becomes activated.
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Can Your Genomic Technology Do If a SARS- or Avian Flu-like Illness Emerged Today?