What diseases do bats carry in the United States?

Rabies is perhaps the most well known disease associated with bats. Along with animals such as dogs, foxes, raccoons and skunks, bats are one of the primary animals that transmit rabies.

Histoplasmosis is another disease associated with bats. Its symptoms vary greatly, but the disease primarily affects the lungs. Occasionally, other organs are affected. When this happens it can be fatal if untreated.

In addition, histoplasmosis is caused by a fungus that grows in soil and material contaminated with droppings from animals, including bats. Droppings, also known as bat guano, can contaminate the soil and cause infectious spores to be released when the soil is disturbed.

Even though it can be found throughout the world, it is widespread in certain areas of the United States and can be found in places that harbor large populations of bats, including caves.

While most infected persons have no apparent ill effects, antifungal medications are used to treat many forms of the disease.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
What is the difference between infectious and communicable diseases?
An infectious disease is a disease caused by a microorganism and therefore potentially infinitely tr...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Do You Do Once You've Discovered a New Virus?