What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?

The difference between quarantine and isolation is as follows:

• When someone is known to be ill with a contagious disease, they are placed in isolation and receive special care, with precautions taken to protect uninfected people from exposure to the disease.
  • When someone has been exposed to a contagious disease and it is not yet known if they have caught it, they may be quarantined or separated from others who have not been exposed to the disease. For example, they may be asked to remain at home to prevent further potential spread of the illness. They also receive special care and observation for any early signs of the illness.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Hawaii Health Alert: 3 Gross Diseases You Can Catch From Rats
From the Polynesian rats accompanying Hawaii’s first settlers to the more invasive black and Norway rats introduced by Europeans, rodents have been a ...
How can I keep my child from picking up germs at school?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Elementary school students have plenty of interaction in the classroom, cafeteria and playground, so...
What is the most dangerous super infection?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
The most dangerous and lethal super infections are secondary pneumonias that typically develop a...
Why Can't We Develop Just One Drug to Combat Malaria?