What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?

The difference between quarantine and isolation is as follows:

• When someone is known to be ill with a contagious disease, they are placed in isolation and receive special care, with precautions taken to protect uninfected people from exposure to the disease.
  • When someone has been exposed to a contagious disease and it is not yet known if they have caught it, they may be quarantined or separated from others who have not been exposed to the disease. For example, they may be asked to remain at home to prevent further potential spread of the illness. They also receive special care and observation for any early signs of the illness.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Tuberculosis Exposure: Should You Be Worried?
More than 1,000 people in California, including 350 infants, may have been exposed to tuberculosis (TB) at a hospital between August and November. A n...
How do I manage my infection on a daily basis?
Most infections shouldn't require a long-term lifestyle change, but there are some that can be prese...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What's the Future of Healthcare Look Like?