What causes infections?

Infections are caused by an invasion of organisms into your body, which creates disease. Bacterial infections happen when bacteria enter your body and either produce a harming substance or attack your tissues. Viral infections happen when a virus is ingested, inhaled, or contracted through sexual activity. The virus invades your cells, takes control, and makes the cells reproduce the virus. Parasitic infections are the result of a parasite entering the body, and fungal infections usually happen after fungal spores are inhaled or land on the skin.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Tuberculosis Exposure: Should You Be Worried?
More than 1,000 people in California, including 350 infants, may have been exposed to tuberculosis (TB) at a hospital between August and November. A n...
Should I give my child medicine for a fever?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Give your child medicine for a fever if it's severe or the child is lethargic and/or in pain.
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Are the Possibilities of a Malaria Vaccine?