What are reportable infectious diseases?

Reportable infectious diseases are diseases that are reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in order to track their incidence and spread. Often these are infections that can cause an outbreak either locally or globally. Examples of reportable diseases include:
  • anthrax
  • botulism
  • hepatitis
  • HIV
  • chlamydia
  • gonorrhea
  • malaria
  • measles
  • rabies
  • syphilis
  • tuberculosis
  • Zika
Reportable infectious diseases are those that must be reported to the state, and sometimes the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or other government agencies, when they are diagnosed. Each state has a list of diseases that doctors must report. The purpose of the list and reporting process is to track the disease and prevent future cases or outbreaks. There are many diseases that must be reported to the CDC. These include measles, mumps, many sexually transmitted diseases, hepatitis, tick-borne diseases and food-borne diseases. All cases of cancer are reported to the local cancer registry.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
What are infections?
Infections occur when harmful organisms enter your body and multiply, which then creates disease. In...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Work Is Being Done to Fight Diarrhea in the Developing World?