What are infections?

Infections occur when harmful organisms enter your body and multiply, which then creates disease. Infections can be the result of many different types of organisms, such as viruses (viral infections), bacteria (bacterial infections), parasites (parasitic infections), or fungi (fungal infections). Because there are so many types of infections, they can present with many different symptoms and treatments.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Tuberculosis Exposure: Should You Be Worried?
More than 1,000 people in California, including 350 infants, may have been exposed to tuberculosis (TB) at a hospital between August and November. A n...
What will the state do if I am exposed to a dangerous contagious disease?
If people in a certain area were potentially exposed to a dangerous contagious disease, this is what...
How can viruses and bacteria make me sick?
Bacteria are single-celled organisms usually found all over the inside and outside of our bodies, ex...
What's the Future of Healthcare Look Like?