Are there any ongoing, current pandemic diseases?

A pandemic is the spread of a disease-causing infection to a large portion of the population in a large part of the world. The current HIV/AIDS pandemic, which has already claimed more than 25 million lives worldwide, continues to spread to even greater portions of the population in much of the world. The greatest focus of infection is in Sub-Saharan Africa, where 1 in 20 people are living with HIV.

Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, or AIDS, is an example of an ongoing pandemic outbreak. AIDS is believed to attack through infection by the human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, an illness characterized by progressive and incurable devastation of the immune system. AIDS was first indentified among male homosexuals and intravenous drug users in the 1980s. Since then, it has spread to affect all types of people of any age, particularly in the developing world.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Proper Hygiene Tips to Keep Your Family Disease-Free
Q: Our local paper published an alert that hand, mouth, and foot disease is on the rise and I don’t even know what it is. My kids are off to school an...
Can I catch a skin disease by touching athletic equipment?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Yes, skin diseases can be transmitted through contact with athletic equipment. Sports such as footba...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
Hand Towels vs. Air Dryers: Which Are More Sanitary?