What are super infections?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
Super infections are secondary bacteria-caused infections that usually develop while our body is fighting off a virus, such as a cold or the flu. Generally, the bacteria that commonly cause super infections are in or on our body already, such as Streptococcus pneumoniae or Staphylococcus aureus. However, it is while we are fighting off a virus that they then have the opportunity to invade our lungs or sinuses and cause a super infection.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
How are infections diagnosed?
Minor infections are often diagnosed through the symptoms, such as in cases of the cold or flu. More...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
How Important Are Efforts to Improve Water Quality for Health in Developing Countries?