How can viruses and bacteria make me sick?

Bacteria are single-celled organisms usually found all over the inside and outside of our bodies, except in the blood and spinal fluid. Many bacteria are not harmful. In fact, some are actually beneficial. However, disease-causing bacteria trigger illnesses, such as strep throat and some ear infections.

Viruses are even smaller than bacteria. A virus cannot survive outside the body's cells. It causes illnesses by invading healthy cells and reproducing.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

News: CDC Cuts 80% of Global Disease Prevention Efforts
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) works daily to ensure the health, safety and security of the American people. In an effort to ...
How can I make sure infections don't cause lingering, chronic problems?
While most of us want to treat infections because of their acute symptoms, we also can't ignore that...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
Hand Towels vs. Air Dryers: Which Are More Sanitary?