How can viruses and bacteria make me sick?

Bacteria are single-celled organisms usually found all over the inside and outside of our bodies, except in the blood and spinal fluid. Many bacteria are not harmful. In fact, some are actually beneficial. However, disease-causing bacteria trigger illnesses, such as strep throat and some ear infections.

Viruses are even smaller than bacteria. A virus cannot survive outside the body's cells. It causes illnesses by invading healthy cells and reproducing.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Simple Ways to Stop the Spread of Staph and MRSA
Odds are you’ve heard of staph (Staphylococcus aureus) or MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), types of bacteria that can cause potenti...
Should I give my child medicine for a fever?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
“We stress that the reason to reduce the fever is for the comfort of the child and not to reduce the...
How are infections diagnosed?
Minor infections are often diagnosed through the symptoms, such as in cases of the cold or flu. More...
What Do We Really Know about Malaria Today?