How can I prevent the spread of my hospitalized child's airborne infection?

The best strategy to reduce the transmission of an airborne infection is to follow the guidance of the hospital regarding the type of isolation required for the child. If the child is in "airborne precautions," they will be in a special room with negative airflow handling (in other words, the air in the room sucks into the room instead of blowing out of it).  The door will remain closed at all times.  All caregivers will wear N95 respirator masks when in the room, and they may also wear gowns and gloves if they are giving more personal care...depending on the situation.

If the child must leave the room, the caregivers will likely put similar personal protective equipment on the patient/child for movement through the hospital corridors.  Questions about the isolation can be addressed to the nurse or the infection preventionist at the hospital. 
Airborne infections are spread through the air. If your child has an airborne infection, you may be asked to be tested to see if you can spread your child's germs, too. Your child needs to stay in a room with special ventilation, so she will not be able to go for walks or rides outside her room. Always wash your hands before leaving the room.

Here are some precautions during isolation for some airborne infections:
  • Chickenpox: If you have never had chickenpox, tell your child's nurse. Wash your hands before leaving your child's room. You do not need to wear a mask.
  • Measles: If you have never had measles, and you have never received the measles vaccine, you need to wear a mask. If you have had measles or you have received the measles vaccine, you do not need to wear a mask.
  • Tuberculosis (TB): You may be asked to wear a mask when going to and from your child's room. You will have to do this until your child's doctor knows if you can spread TB or not. You may have to be tested to see if you can spread TB. You do not need to wear a mask in your child's room, even though the hospital staff will wear masks.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

6 Facts You Should Know About Tapeworms
6 Facts You Should Know About Tapeworms
You’ve probably heard of them -- and been a little grossed out by the thought of them -- but tiny tapeworms made big news in 2015. For starters, a Ca...
When should I call the doctor if my child has a fever?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
You should call the doctor about your child's fever based on the duration and severity of the fever....
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What's the Future of Healthcare Look Like?