How many patients acquire an infection while being hospitalized?

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that approximately 1 out of every 20 patients will contract an infection while they are in the hospital. Different kinds of infections occur at different rates, and variables in people and conditions contribute to the likelihood of getting an infection in a hospital. 

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Hawaii Health Alert: 3 Gross Diseases You Can Catch From Rats
From the Polynesian rats accompanying Hawaii’s first settlers to the more invasive black and Norway rats introduced by Europeans, rodents have been a ...
How can viruses and bacteria make me sick?
Bacteria are single-celled organisms usually found all over the inside and outside of our bodies, ex...
How can I avoid infectious diseases while traveling?
Brandon Regional HospitalBrandon Regional Hospital
To avoid infectious disease, the most important thing to do is wash your hands.
Hand Towels vs. Air Dryers: Which Are More Sanitary?