How can others help me recognize if I have an infection in the hospital?

Your family and friends can play a role in recognizing if you have caught an infection while in the hospital. They can work with the health care team to keep an eye out for signs and symptoms that you may have an infection, such as:
  • Diarrhea
  • Redness near a catheter site
  • Skin breakouts
  • Fever
  • A sore that is red and/or puffy

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Septic Shock: When an Infection Turns Deadly
Boxing great Muhammad Ali, who passed away in June 2016, was well known for his fight against Parkinson’s disease—but he actually succumbed to septic ...
What diseases can I get from an animal?
In the United States, a risk of human illnesses from animals, especially to young children, is getti...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
How Does Knowing the Genetic Makeup of a Virus or Bacteria Help With Treatment?