How can hospital-acquired infections be prevented?

Hospitals, families and friends can all play a part in keeping you safe from infection while you are in the hospital.

Hospitals can:

• Place hand gels and cleansing foam in an obvious place so people can see them and use them.
  • Use bright colored posters and reminders to all about keeping their hands germ free through regular washing with soap and water.
  • Run a public service announcement on their video system or website talking about the importance of infection protection.

Visitors can:

• Wash their hands frequently when they are at the hospital.
  • Help health care staff and visitors remember to wash their hands and objects that may come in contact with you (cell phones, laptops, stethoscopes, etc).
  • Stay home if they have are sick or have an open sore. Though they will want to visit you, they should consider refraining for your safety and the safety of other patients.

Hospital-acquired infections can be prevented by proper handwashing by hospital employees and families.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
What causes sepsis?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Any infection can potentially lead to sepsis if not treated properly. However, some of the more comm...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Work Is Being Done to Fight Diarrhea in the Developing World?