How could I get sick from traveling?

We travel to work, to play, to visit the people we love, and, when we do, the last thing we want is to get sick. But, unfortunately, crowded airplanes, buses, hotel rooms -- even your Aunt Sally's guest room -- are teeming with millions of bacteria and viruses just itching to hitch a ride with you. And at busy times such as Thanksgiving (when some 8 million people board trains, planes, and buses), your risk rises.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
Why do microbes need a live host?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Not every microbe that enters your body will make you sick. But when one does, you may be reassu...
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
How Important Are Efforts to Improve Water Quality for Health in Developing Countries?