How can I avoid getting a disease from bats while exploring caves?

Many bats rely on cave roosts and are often found in groupings that can number in the millions. Cave explorers, spelunkers, divers and others whose activities take them into or around caves should exercise caution when in these environments.

Make sure to be on the lookout for bats, which often roost or hibernate at high points within caves. It is also important to avoid being near or coming into contact with bat droppings. When possible, avoid entering caves that are known to contain populations of bats.

In addition, it might be a good idea to bring a flashlight into the cave to help better identify the presence of bats or other animals. If bats are present in the immediate area, consider leaving the cave or moving to an area of the cave where there are no bats.

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Proper Hygiene Tips to Keep Your Family Disease-Free
Q: Our local paper published an alert that hand, mouth, and foot disease is on the rise and I don’t even know what it is. My kids are off to school an...
How can viruses and bacteria make me sick?
Bacteria are single-celled organisms usually found all over the inside and outside of our bodies, ex...
How can I keep my child from picking up germs at the doctor's office?
To help prevent the spread of germs (including your child picking them up at the doctor's office), p...
What Do You Do Once You've Discovered a New Virus?