What can cause my child to get a rash after a fever?

Roseola is the most common infection to cause a rash after a fever.  Roseola is a viral infection.  This is a common infection for infants and toddlers. It usually causes a high fever that goes up and down for 3 days.  About the time the fever breaks a rash of red spots appears on the trunk and spreads to other parts of the body.  The rash lasts for a few days and then goes away.  Other viruses can also cause a rash after a fever.
These symptoms are quite suggestive of a classic childhood viral infection known as roseola. Fever (temperature often 102°F [39°C] or higher) without any other symptoms can leave parents and pediatricians alike looking for  answers. After about 3 days, the answer usually becomes quite clear as the fever resolves and is followed within a day or so by a telltale roseola rash. By the time the rash appears, children are no longer contagious and can  return--rash and all--to normal activities (eg, preschool, mommy-and-me  class).
Mommy Calls: Dr. Tanya Answers Parents' Top 101 Questions About Babies and Toddlers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------The must-have resource for parents of children up to age three! Small enough to fit in a diaper bag, but big on...

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease