Which areas in hotel rooms can be infection risks?

There are several areas you should be wary of when checking in to a hotel room: 

The bedspread. You may be tempted to flop down first thing but don't do it until you remove the bedspread, which is rarely, if ever, cleaned. Fold it up and stash it well away from your belongings. Then check the sheets. Look for hairs, any other evidence they were used, and traces of bed bugs. If the sheets aren't clean, ask for a new room (if the sheets are dirty the rest of the room probably is). If you find evidence of bed bugs, get a refund on your reservation and find a new hotel. If one room has bed bugs, others will too.

The phone and remote control. Two of the most handled places in hotel rooms are almost never cleaned and harbor all manner of bacteria and viruses. Experts recommend using a ziplock bag as a makeshift glove when handling the remote or using a chlorine antibacterial wipe and wiping down every button, crack, and crevice, spending extra time on the power button, which is touched the most.

The bathroom. The worst offender is probably one you won't suspect. Those cute courtesy glasses by the sink almost never get a proper dishwashing and are more likely wiped down with a towel from the room, leaving them loaded with bacteria. Skip them unless you're supplied with plastic glasses sealed in plastic. Experts recommend traveling with your own collapsible cup. 

The carpet. A quick vacuum does nothing but pick up dust and move bugs and fungus around. So, bring slippers or flip-flops to protect your feet. 
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Infectious Disease

Ask Oz and Roizen: Cleaning Pacifiers and a More Effective Shingles Vaccine
Q: My one-year-old daughter occasionally drops her pacifier on the ground. I just clean it off in my mouth and hand it back to her. My mom says that’s...
How can I avoid infectious diseases while traveling?
Brandon Regional HospitalBrandon Regional Hospital
To avoid infectious disease, the most important thing to do is wash your hands.
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone5 Weird Diseases You Thought Were Gone
These blasts from the past continue to make people sick.
What Are the Possibilities of a Malaria Vaccine?