Will my medications change after I receive an LVAD?

Your medications will change after you have a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) placed. You will still need medication, but you may need fewer medications compared to prior to having the operation done.

Even though it's not a cure, people feel much better once they have the device placed and require fewer medications. One medication that people will require is warfarin, a blood thinner. LVADs are mechanical pumps in the body attached to the heart, and mechanical pumps require the treatment of a blood thinner.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Each year, hundreds of thousands of Americans with heart disease get a stent—a tiny mesh tube just a tad wider than a toothpick—to open a blocked or n...
How important is sizing in aortic stent grafting?
Joshua I. Greenberg, MDJoshua I. Greenberg, MD
Patients will need to undergo tests to measure for the appropriate size stent before aortic stent gr...
What factors determine if I need a stent or not?
SCAISCAI
If you are having a heart attack, immediate placement of a stent can save your life. Also, if you ar...
What Happens After An LVAD Is Placed?
What Happens After An LVAD Is Placed?