Will my medications change after I receive an LVAD?

Your medications will change after you have a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) placed. You will still need medication, but you may need fewer medications compared to prior to having the operation done.

Even though it's not a cure, people feel much better once they have the device placed and require fewer medications. One medication that people will require is warfarin, a blood thinner. LVADs are mechanical pumps in the body attached to the heart, and mechanical pumps require the treatment of a blood thinner.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Each year, hundreds of thousands of Americans with heart disease get a stent—a tiny mesh tube just a tad wider than a toothpick—to open a blocked or n...
What could happen if I don't get a stent?
Blake Medical CenterBlake Medical Center
A blocked artery can lead to chest pain, heart failure, and heart attacks. Inserting a stent can hel...
What provides power to left ventricular assist devices (LVADs)?
Robert Mohapatra, MDRobert Mohapatra, MD
Power to left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) is provided by batteries. The batteries are externa...
What Kinds of Implants Are Used to Treat Artrial Fibrillation?