What should I do if I had the Mustard or Senning procedure years ago?

Have your heart thoroughly evaluated by a cardiac team familiar with the complications of these procedures. Essential care of conditions resulting from the Mustard and Senning procedures includes a combination of

• Cardiac catheterization, in which a specially trained heart doctor called an interventional cardiologist inserts thin, flexible tubes (catheters) into a blood vessel and guides them into the heart to provide channels to work through.
• Assessment of the heart’s electrical circuits

This evaluation requires the skills and expertise of an open-heart surgeon, an interventional cardiologist, a heart rhythm specialist (called an electrophysiologist) and a cardiologist who specializes in the treatment of adults with congenital heart defects.

In preparation for treatment, you may undergo several tests that gather images of the heart and help the doctors to develop a treatment plan. An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CAT (computerized axial tomography) scan will be used to provide a picture of the heart, and an echocardiogram will make a moving picture of your heart at work.

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Each year, hundreds of thousands of Americans with heart disease get a stent—a tiny mesh tube just a tad wider than a toothpick—to open a blocked or n...
Who should consider getting a left ventricular assist device (LVAD)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Medical therapies are very effective in treating heart failure. However, in many patients, heart fai...
Will my medications change after I receive an LVAD?
Robert Mohapatra, MDRobert Mohapatra, MD
Your medications will change after you have a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) placed. You will...
What Kinds of Implants Are Used to Treat Artrial Fibrillation?