What is a stent graft?

Brian G. Derubertis, MD
Vascular Surgery
A stent graft is a series of wire or mesh tubes that form a cylinder, which is covered by a fabric on the outside. These stent grafts can be constrained into a delivery catheter, which is a long, thin tube that is introduced into an artery to deliver the stent graft to an area of pathology. Pathologies that can be treated with a stent graft include aneurysms, blockages in the aorta or its branches, and sometimes traumatic injuries of the aorta.

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Each year, hundreds of thousands of Americans with heart disease get a stent—a tiny mesh tube just a tad wider than a toothpick—to open a blocked or n...
What provides power to left ventricular assist devices (LVADs)?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
Power to left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) is provided by batteries. The batteries are externa...
Will my medications change after I receive an LVAD?
Your medications will change after you have a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) placed. You will...
What Happens After An LVAD Is Placed?
What Happens After An LVAD Is Placed?