What should I do if I get a shock from my ICD?

Mohamed Djelmami Hani, MD

If you receive three or more shocks from your implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) in a short period of time or you do not feel well, call 9-1-1 and be prepared to go to the hospital. Your electrophysiologist then should be notified once you are in the emergency room.

Indrajit Choudhuri, MD
If you receive a shock from your implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), here is what you should do:
  • Stay calm.
  • If you feel fine, call your electrophysiologist (EP) or clinic. During
           off-hours, calls will be forwarded to an answering service that
           will page the on-call physician for you. Please be sure to call
           whenever you think you have been shocked.
  • If you are not feeling well (for example, you continue to feel chest
           pain or dizziness), call a rescue squad and be prepared to be
           taken to the emergency room.
  • If you receive three or more shocks in a row, call the rescue squad
           and be prepared to go to the hospital.
  • If you live in a rural area, you may want to visit your local emergency
           room or rescue squad. Tell them about your ICD.

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

If you have a heart problem, implantable medical devices can be used to help your heart function properly. Several types of devices approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration are available to keep your heart beating strong. ...

These devices -- including a pacemaker, stent and heart pump -- can help improve the quality of your life, lower your risk of a heart attack and help reduce chest pain. Learn more about implantable medical devices for the heart with expert advice from Sharecare.