Will a stent prolong my life?

While stenting coronary arteries can stop heart attacks that are in progress and save lives, studies have shown that today's stents do not prolong life for patients who are not suffering a heart attack or are at risk for them. Rather, for these patients who are not experiencing a life-threatening blockage, the benefit of stents is their ability to reduce chest pain, shortness of breath and other symptoms. They improve quality of life without open-chest surgery.

Continue Learning about Implantable Medical Devices For The Heart

Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Should Heart Patients Skip Stents?
Each year, hundreds of thousands of Americans with heart disease get a stent—a tiny mesh tube just a tad wider than a toothpick—to open a blocked or n...
Can a stent be removed once it is implanted?
SCAISCAI
When a stent is implanted in an artery, the cells of the artery wall eventually grow over the stent....
Will my medications change after I receive an LVAD?
Robert Mohapatra, MDRobert Mohapatra, MD
Your medications will change after you have a left ventricular assist device (LVAD) placed. You will...
What Kinds of Implants Are Used to Treat Artrial Fibrillation?