How does radiation poisoning affect my stomach and intestines?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The gastrointestinal syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the stomach and intestine. Moderately high doses of radiation (as low as 6 Gray) can cause gastrointestinal symptoms within the first hour after exposure. The initial damage leads to nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and poor appetite. This first phase may last for a few days and is followed by a symptom-free period. As the effects of radiation continue to destroy the cells of the digestive tract, the shedding of dead cells causes bloody diarrhea and severe dehydration. The loss of cells also makes the digestive tract vulnerable to bacteria which can cause life-threatening infections. Death can result within a few weeks due to loss of fluid and electrolytes or infection. Fifty percent of those who have access to intensive medical care will recover.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Radiation Poisoning On The Body

How radiation poisoning affect my skin?
The cutaneous syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the skin. In...
How does radiation poisoning affect my mental health?
There are a number of ways in which radiation poisoning can lead to psychological stress. Concern ab...
What is the effect of radiation on my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Low-level radiation from normally functioning nuclear power plants, weapons facilities, and testing ...
Is radiation poisoning serious?
Radiation poisoning is a life-threatening illness that requires close supervision and treatment by e...