How does radiation poisoning affect my bone marrow?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The hematopoietic syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the bone marrow, spleen, and lymph nodes. These organs are responsible for making the blood cells that carry oxygen, stop bleeding, and fight infection. Moderately high doses of radiation can cause hematopoietic symptoms within the first hour after exposure. As blood cells die, the damaged bone marrow and other blood cell-producing organs are unable to replace them. This results in fatigue, shortness of breath, spontaneous bleeding, fever, and infection. Most individuals with access to medical care will survive this syndrome, though full recovery may take months to years. In addition, those that survive have a higher risk of blood cancers such as leukemia.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Radiation Poisoning On The Body

How does radiation poisoning affect my stomach and intestines?
The gastrointestinal syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the s...
How does radiation poisoning affect my thyroid?
The thyroid gland is responsible for making hormones that control the body's metabolism. The thyroid...
How does radiation poisoning affect my mental health?
There are a number of ways in which radiation poisoning can lead to psychological stress. Concern ab...
What is the effect of radiation on my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Low-level radiation from normally functioning nuclear power plants, weapons facilities, and testing ...