How does radiation poisoning affect my thyroid?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The thyroid gland is responsible for making hormones that control the body's metabolism. The thyroid uses iodine to make its hormones. It is not able to distinguish between non-radioactive and radioactive iodine. When a person is exposed to radioactive iodine, it collects in the thyroid and damages the cells of the gland. This damage can lead to thyroid dysfunction and thyroid cancer. As seen in the aftermath of the Chernobyl explosion, exposure to radioactive iodine significantly increases thyroid cancer rates. Potassium iodide can be highly effective at limiting the absorption of radioactive iodine and reducing the risk of thyroid cancer.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Radiation Poisoning On The Body

how does radiation poisoning affect my mental health ?
There are a number of ways in which radiation poisoning can lead to psychological stress. Concern ab...
does radiation poisoning cause cancer ?
Radiation poisoning is caused by exposure to massive amounts of high-energy, ionizing radiation. The...
what is the effect of radiation on my health ?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Low-level radiation from normally functioning nuclear power plants, weapons facilities, and testing ...
how does radiation poisoning affect my stomach and intestines ?
The gastrointestinal syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the s...