How does radiation poisoning affect my thyroid?

The thyroid gland is responsible for making hormones that control the body's metabolism. The thyroid uses iodine to make its hormones. It is not able to distinguish between non-radioactive and radioactive iodine. When a person is exposed to radioactive iodine, it collects in the thyroid and damages the cells of the gland. This damage can lead to thyroid dysfunction and thyroid cancer. As seen in the aftermath of the Chernobyl explosion, exposure to radioactive iodine significantly increases thyroid cancer rates. Potassium iodide can be highly effective at limiting the absorption of radioactive iodine and reducing the risk of thyroid cancer.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Radiation Poisoning On The Body

Is radiation poisoning serious?
Radiation poisoning is a life-threatening illness that requires close supervision and treatment by e...
How does radiation poisoning affect the body?
Radiation poisoning is caused by exposure to massive amounts of ionizing radiation over a brief peri...
How does radiation poisoning affect my mental health?
There are a number of ways in which radiation poisoning can lead to psychological stress. Concern ab...
How radiation poisoning affect my skin?
The cutaneous syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the skin. In...