Does radiation poisoning cause cancer?

Radiation poisoning is caused by exposure to massive amounts of high-energy, ionizing radiation. The radiation responsible for this illness can increase cancer risk. Radiation causes the uncontrolled growth seen in cancer cells by breaking chemical bonds and altering the genetic material. The increase in cancer risk due to radiation is seen among the survivors of the atomic bomb attacks in Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II. These individuals experience approximately 10 percent more solid tumors (such as stomach, bladder, thyroid, and skin) and 46 percent more blood cancers than those without significant radiation exposure.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Radiation Poisoning On The Body

How does radiation poisoning affect the body?
Radiation poisoning is caused by exposure to massive amounts of ionizing radiation over a brief peri...
What is the effect of radiation on my health?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Low-level radiation from normally functioning nuclear power plants, weapons facilities, and testing ...
How does radiation poisoning affect my thyroid?
The thyroid gland is responsible for making hormones that control the body's metabolism. The thyroid...
How radiation poisoning affect my skin?
The cutaneous syndrome is a term used to describe the effects of radiation poisoning on the skin. In...