What are the risks of losing weight too quickly?

Losing weight too quickly can affect the body in many ways. You could experience side effects such as nausea, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, lethargy and mood swings. You also risk malnutrition if you are too aggressive in your weight loss because you are not giving the body enough vitamins and minerals it requires to remain healthy. Your sodium and potassium levels could become dangerously low as well. Both lead to dehydration and cramping. Rapid weight loss will also cause your skin to dry out; your complexion to look pasty and your hair could possibly fall out. Metabolically speaking, trying to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week could cause the body to burn muscle for in energy instead of fat. This in turn will cause you to become weaker and weaker.

(This answer provided for NATA by Antonia R. Long, MHSc, ATC, LAT, CEAS.)

Continue Learning about Impact Of Losing Weight

Lose Excess Weight to Relieve Knee Pain
Lose Excess Weight to Relieve Knee Pain
Knees ache? Make a promise to lose 1 pound. Yes, you heard right. Just 1 pound could mean a lot to your knees. If you are overweight or obese, losing...
Can losing a small amount of weight help my health?
Haven't reached your ideal size yet? Hang in there. In fact, make a pact that you'll at least sh...
How does my body repair itself after weight loss?
Deborah L. Neiman, MDDeborah L. Neiman, MD
Weight loss is a great healer on many parts of the body.  As Dr. Oz points out, the joints are the f...
How Does My Body Repair Itself After Weight Loss?