What are the risks of losing weight too quickly?

Losing weight too quickly can affect the body in many ways. You could experience side effects such as nausea, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, lethargy and mood swings. You also risk malnutrition if you are too aggressive in your weight loss because you are not giving the body enough vitamins and minerals it requires to remain healthy. Your sodium and potassium levels could become dangerously low as well. Both lead to dehydration and cramping. Rapid weight loss will also cause your skin to dry out; your complexion to look pasty and your hair could possibly fall out. Metabolically speaking, trying to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week could cause the body to burn muscle for in energy instead of fat. This in turn will cause you to become weaker and weaker.

(This answer provided for NATA by Antonia R. Long, MHSc, ATC, LAT, CEAS.)

Continue Learning about Impact Of Losing Weight

Smaller Hips, Bigger Brains?
Smaller Hips, Bigger Brains?
Turns out your hips are not the only thing benefiting when you say no to a bunch of extra calories. In a study, women performed significantly better ...
How does my body type affect my risk for diseases?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Where you carry your extra weight is as important as how much you are carrying. You are either a pea...
How can weight loss affect a man's sex drive?
Mark MoyadMark Moyad
Just a few pounds of weight loss or removing a few inches from your waist can increase a man's t...
How Does My Body Repair Itself After Weight Loss?