Can losing weight help with my knee pain?

Absolutely! Weight loss can help reduce back pain, knee pain, and lots of other types of aches and pains. If you are suffering from any kind of pain, be sure to check with your doctor before beginning an exercise program. The spine, hips, knees, and ankles are all designed to help share the load of your body. If you are carrying extra weight then all of these joints are under unnecessary stress. There are many stories of individuals suffering from knee pain and considering surgery. While these individuals evaluate their options, they begin exercising and lose 30 pounds, suddenly not experiencing knee pain anymore. Your knee is a hinge joint which is designed to swing back and forth (like a door) with a small degree of rotation, but functioning the knee is directly related to the hip and the ankle. If the ankle decides to evert (inside ankle bone goes closer to the floor; foot flattens) then the knee is obligated to do something to compensate which it was probably not designed to do. If the muscles around the hips are weak and they cannot stabilize the upper part of the leg, then again the knee can pay the price. Arthritis can also be the culprit in knee pain. Be sure you consult your physician before exercising, but arthritic symptoms can often be reduced by improving muscle strength and increasing flexibility through an exercise program which will also help you lose weight. By reducing the amount of weight the knees are having to support you could greatly reduce the knee pain.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Losing Weight

lose excess weight to relieve knee pain
lose excess weight to relieve knee pain
kne s ac e? mak a promise o l se 1 pound. yes balance . yo u heard rig t. just 1 po nd ould mea lot to y ur nees often , these gait changes in...
why does not skin snap back to normal after weight loss ?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
This really has to do with the rate of gain of weight, overall skin health and with the number of ti...
how does my body type affect my risk for diseases ?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Where you carry your extra weight is as important as how much you are carrying. You are either a pea...
is being overweight a health concern ?
Being overweight, and particularly, being obese, is bad for your health, even if you're only sli...