What does smoking do to my sense of taste?

Smoking can affect your taste. You may not be able to enjoy the things you normally do after a prolonged smoking history.
It dulls it making everything taste the same because its effect on your taste buds is to make them non functional
If you smoke, you are missing out on a lot of flavor when you sit down to eat. Smoking makes the taste buds on your tongue less sensitive. Studies have shown that smokers lose at least some of their ability to detect sweetness, saltiness, sourness and bitterness. I haven't seen any research on whether smoking affects umami, or savoriness, which is often called the fifth taste. But I strongly suspect that smoking diminishes that taste too.

To make matters worse, smoking also interferes with your sense of smell. Since aroma plays a critical role in how you experience food, smoking is a double whammy when it comes to enjoying a fine meal.
Smoking stains teeth and increases the risk of periodontal disease, which leads to bad breath and may produce a bad taste.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

Does smoking increase my chances of heart disease and heart attack?
Robert S. Kaufmann, MDRobert S. Kaufmann, MD
Smoking tobacco or long-term exposure to secondhand smoke raises your risk for heart disease and hea...
How does smoking affect pregnant women and their babies?
Riverside Emergency and Trauma CenterRiverside Emergency and Trauma Center
Smoking cigarettes is very harmful to your health and could also affect the health of your baby. Not...
Can I Reverse the Aging Process Caused by Smoking?
Under 40? Here's Another Reason to Quit Smoking Now