What are the effects of inflammation caused by smoking?

The inflammation of the arteries caused by smoking has three effects. (1) It causes swelling like the redness and swelling) in your skin when you get an infection. The swelling of that artery in turn decreases the area inside the blood vessel for blood to flow. (2) Inflammation thickens the artery with that swelling, increasing the swirling of blood. (3) Inflammation also causes potholes in the walls. These potholes are places where cholesterol and other stuff can accumulate into plaques or where they can get beneath the lining and accumulate into plaques. Inflammation of the arteries thus inhibits the ability of arteries to expand properly, prohibiting the proper delivery of nutrients to all cells, and sapping energy.

The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

What is the impact of nicotine addiction on the brain?
Nicotine addiction slows down the amount of blood flowing to your brain. How? Nicotine causes in...
Does smoking increase my risk for other lung diseases besides cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Yes. Pneumonia is included in the list of diseases known to be caused by smoking. Smoking also incre...
Under 40? Here's Another Reason to Quit Smoking Now
What Does Smoking Do to My Oral Health?
What Does Smoking Do to My Oral Health?