I know smoking causes cancer. Does it cause anything else?

Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Smoking can cause many non cancer medical conditions including strokes, heart attacks, emphysema, and bronchitis. Other related medical conditions include heartburn, dental problems, skin, and sinus problems. 

It causes inflammation in your arteries and your immune system.  The immune system part leads to cancer and inability to fight infections and poor healing of damage that you get.  It also causes heart disease, stroke, memory loss, impotence, peripheral vascular disease with amputation, decay in orgasm quality, and wrinkling of the skin.  If those aren't enough, it also causes you to not heal wounds and to have 12-18 years more disability than you might have had or than you were predicted to have were you not to smoke.

Smoking leads to coronary artery disease, the number one cause of death in the U.S. Smoking causes reduced circulation by narrowing the arteries, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes. According to the U.S. Surgeon General, smoking has been associated with infertility, low birth rate, and sudden infant death syndrome.
Smoking can lead to a lot of health problems. Think of yourself as a clear, sparkling body of water. Now think of smoking as a big tanker dumping a load of chemicals into that water. Those chemicals travel into estuaries and rivers and reservoirs, killing and damaging vibrant creatures and plants along the way.

That's how smoking can fan out, causing all sorts of cancer including lung, cervical, bladder, stomach and esophageal. It also causes heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), stroke, heart attack, reproductive problems and circulation problems that could result in leg or arm amputations. Blocked arteries that may be caused by smoking can even lead to sudden death. Send out a boat carrying a crack clean-up force: Talk with your doctor about smoking cessation.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How does smoking affect health during menopause?
Smoking can trigger symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes. Also, smoking increases your chance o...
Does smoking increase my risk for other lung diseases besides cancer?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Yes. Pneumonia is included in the list of diseases known to be caused by smoking. Smoking also incre...
How Does Smoking Affect My Skin Health?
How Does Smoking Affect My Skin Health?
Is It Still Possible to Get COPD or Emphysema Years After I Quit Smoking?