How does smoking make existing health risks worse?

Unfortunately, when you smoke, the dangers posed by smoking interact with other potential health problems, causing your odds of an event occurring to increase exponentially. For example, if you come from a family with a history of heart and arterial disease and you smoke, you have fifteen times the risk of heart attack as someone from the same family who does not. Similarly, if you have high cholesterol and you smoke, you have a risk level of thirty-five times of a heart attack as someone with high cholesterol who does not. Alcohol and cigarettes are another deadly combination: People who drink alcohol and smoke are at much higher risk of mouth, throat, and liver cancers than people who do either one or the other. Alcohol causes the body to make enzymes that metabolize tobacco smoke into highly carcinogenic substances.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

What is nicotine withdrawal?
Nicotine is a highly addictive drug present in cigarettes and chewing tobacco. Nicotine withdraw...
How harmful is the nicotine in cigarettes?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
Nicotine is not the harmful part of a cigarette. The thousands of other toxins present in tobacco ...
How Does Smoking Affect My Asthma?
How Does Smoking Affect My Asthma?
How Does Smoking Affect My Skin Health?
How Does Smoking Affect My Skin Health?