Q

Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How does smoking affect my skin health?

• A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Smoking is a detriment for good skin health. The chemicals in cigarettes restrict blood flow to the skin, resulting in depletion of key nutrients, and an increased likelihood of wrinkles.
  • A , Dermatology, answered
    Dr. Anne Chapas - How does smoking affect my skin health?

Watch as board certified dermatologist Dr. Anne Chapas discusses how smoking can affect your skin health.

• Smoking actually has a significant impact on your skin's health. Not only does it rob your skin of substances it needs, such as vitamin A and oxygen, but it also lessens the amount of blood that reaches the topmost layers of skin. Smoking seems to cause the skin to age faster. Normally, the skin contains a lot of collagen and elastin, which are types of fiber that allow the skin to stretch and be strong. Although collagen and elastin decrease as people age, smoking apparently destroys these fibers much more quickly, resulting in wrinkles and older-looking skin. Smoking also appears to raise the chances of getting some forms of skin cancer, psoriasis, and autoimmune disorders like discoid lupus erythematosus.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Is physical withdrawal of nicotine worse than the physiological withdrawal?