What does smoking do to my oral health?

Smoking or chewing tobacco can have a profound effect on your oral health. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why quitting smoking can be beneficial to your smile.

No one wants to kiss a smoker -- bad breath and yellow teeth are some of the less serious side effects. It is possible that smoking may lead to periodontal (gum) disease. Red swollen gums are a symptom of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease can also lead to tooth loss. Smoking lessens your senses of smell and taste so you will not enjoy food like you used to.

Continue Learning about Impact Of Nicotine Addiction On The Body

How many tobacco-related deaths occur each year in the United States?
Cigarette smoking kills almost a half a million people every year in the U.S. alone, primarily f...
Is smoking tobacco with a hookah safer than smoking cigarettes?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Smoking tobacco with a hookah is not safer than smoking cigarettes. When using a hookah pipe, the sm...
Skin Cancer and Smokers
Skin Cancer and Smokers
Can I Reverse the Aging Process Caused by Smoking?